Act for Children
Act for Children is an initiative by ActionAid India to ensure children in marginalised and vulnerable communities have access to their basic rights especially education, healthcare and protection. The initiative is aimed at creating an enabling environment for children so they may enjoy a childhood all children deserves.We work with communities to ensure enrolment of out-of-school children and strive to sensitise school management committees and local administration on the need to proactively promote child rights. We help to ensure children have access to nutrition and health services. We also work with children to build their life skills and orient them on rights and entitlements.
What children face
- 6 million children between 6 – 13 years are still out of the school system.
- 1 million children aged 5 -14 are engaged in child labour.
- 47 million students drop out of school by the 10th
- 290 children become victims of crime every day.
- 1,05,785 crimes against children were reported in 2016.
- 38% of children under five in India are stunted.
- 21% of children are severely underweight.
- At 39 deaths per 1000 live births, India’s under-5 mortality